Today I am grateful for:
1. How happy my oldest daughter, Bri, is tonight. We spent the afternoon visiting UC Berkeley where she's been admitted as a transfer student in theater. I want to freeze this moment in time, right now, where every fiber of her being is focussed on the absolute, upside potential that lies ahead of her. This feeling is how we should all live every day--focussed on our very best expectations and possible outcomes.
2. Michael J. Fox. I just watched his TV documentary about optimism. It was fascinating to learn that some of us are wired to be optimistic and some pessimistic but how we are nurtured has a big influence on how we view things as well.
3. The people of Bhutan who measure their country's GNH (gross national happiness) as opposed to GNP (gross national product.) I think we all have a lot to learn from them.
4. Corvids. I am so in love with the birds in this family which includes ravens, crows, jays and magpies. They are feisty, smart (they even use tools!), funny, bold and irascible. I feel they have so much to teach me.
5. Guinness. I had one for lunch today and there is nothing else like a cold, creamy Guinness. I feel very lucky to have gotten to tour the Guinness brewery in Ireland a number of years ago.