Saturday, May 2, 2009
Gratitude -- Day Twelve
I'm almost two weeks into my gratitude journal and I find that some days I wonder if I'll run out of things to list. Now that would be positively pathetic, if I were so jaded or numb that gratitude would fail to just pour out from me. And yet...there is always that little fear.
Today I am grateful for:
1. Scrabble. And now the new Super Scrabble Deluxe Edition which has twice the tiles and twice the squares of the original game. This keeps our family busy for long hours each weekend as we gather around the coffee table by the fireplace and try to beat the pants off each other. We are a competitive lot and this is a perfect outlet.
2. Non-stick frying pans. I am actually grateful each time I wash a disgustingly dirty pan when everything slides out so clean and easy by simply running the pan under hot water. Somewhere there is an inventor to whom I owe a big kiss.
3. "Eulogy"--a funny, quirky movie that almost no one I know has ever seen. It has a marvelous ensemble cast including Debra Winger, Zooey Deschanel, Ray Romano, Kelly Preston, Rip Torn and many more. If you get a chance you should really watch it sometime. It begins when the father of a large family dies and all the kids come home for the funeral. I'll grant you this is not a typical setup for a dark comedy but this is not your ordinary family. It is a goofy, highly disfunctional group and their gathering makes me laugh whenever I watch it.
4. Lovely ripe blackberries. We just bought a bunch home. Every mouthful brings back memories of summer mornings as a kid filling buckets of sweet purple fruit that stained my fingers and my lips.
5. Orchids. I have always loved these exotic creatures. Two of my latest images of orchids are shown at the beginning of this post.