Monday, May 4, 2009
Gratitude -- Day Fourteen
Today I am grateful for:
1. Broccoli. Not for me so much, although I enjoy it okay, but for my canaries. They go through bags of the stuff, jostling and pushing each other aside to get the best spot. Yesterday I put a huge, juicy blackberry in the dish with the broccoli and they wouldn't go near it. Note to all broccoli growers--beware of canaries. They'll decimate your crops. If you can't get rid of them with scarecrows just put up a giant inflatable blackberry and you'll be good to go.
2. Korbel Cream Sherry. It is sweet and mellow--perfect for a rainy evening (or even late afternoon!) The only place I've found it is at the Korbel Champagne Cellars in Guerneville, not too far from where I live. We went there for my daughter, Bri's, twenty-first birthday. As you can see from the photo above, she was pretty keen on the place too.
3. Heirloom tomatoes. I love that they come in such varied shapes and colors--dark purple (they call them black!) through oranges, yellows, pinks and reds. The flavor of these summer gems makes me remember what summer is supposed to taste like. I just bought a dozen plants at the sale they had on Sunday at the Kendall Jackson Winery, also near where I live (Damn, I'm lucky!!!) I can't wait for these plants to bear fruit this summer. I'll be sure to post some pictures when that glorious day arrives.
4. Dark chocolate. Okay. Clearly I'm into a food and flavor flow here so I guess I'll just go with it. I have become very picky about chocolate lately. It has to be rich. It has to luxuriously coat the tongue. And it has to be dark. Heaven...
5. A really tasty, bold red wine. I have a few current favorites but I'm playing the field. I'm happy to take a spin around the dance floor with any that offer a smooth, complex flavor (a hint of cherry, blackberry and chocolate get my attention), but I'm not ready to make a serious commitment to a single wine just yet.