It's funny how some days, usually as I'm driving along Hwy 101, I am continually finding things to be grateful for--the egrets that fly eloquently across the sky, startling me with their impossibly white plumage--and even the occasional heron who appears like an egret in shadow form. Then there are other times and other days when finding five things to be grateful for really taxes my imagination. I find that so odd. Compared to many I have a really easy life. Why doesn't gratitude just ooze from my pores like sweat on a hot day? I suppose that's what this exercise is all about. Becoming more mindful. More present. Maybe even smiling more.
So here goes. Today I am grateful for:
1. Being able to say or write whatever I want without fear of being silenced by anything stronger than my own desire for acceptability.
2. Classical music and a quiet corner where I can listen to my thoughts and drink a latte.
3. A past that is just wild enough to seem interesting to my daughters.
4. Having never taken a job on Wall Street or in Washington, D.C.
5. A person of intelligence and creativity at the helm of our country...finally.